Friday, January 05, 2007

Semester textbooks

I just spent the better part of TWO HOURS ordering my
text books online. I had ELEVEN books to buy this time
out. Ouch. My friend Anne called me from the bookstore
to tell me what mine were today. Rule #1: avoid
college bookstore whenever possible as it ridiculously
overpriced compared to any number of online vendors.

I ended up buying from four different vendors:
Half.com, Alibris, B&N, and Amazon. Even with the
shipping charges at each place, I still came out
better. One book was $15 at B&N, but at Alibris, it
was $5 + 3.49 shipping, so that definitely made up for
the shipping charge and then some.

And one ancient book was SO EXPENSIVE everywhere, but
I got it for $3.30 through a vendor on Amazon. SWEET.
Of course, half of the books I ordered aren't going to
get here until 1/16...I seriously hope those aren't
going to be ones I have to read for 1/17's class! Oh
well. It's not like any of the Jane Austen books are
going to kill me. If need be, I can read the ones I
don't already have at the library. I imagine the
special editions we had to buy are for the commentary
or what not. I can read that shit later.

History of Africa course:
1. Magomero: Portrait of an African Village
2. Slavery and Reform in West Africa: Toward
Emancipation in 19th Century
*both 1 & 2 from Amazon for $28.45
3. Histories of the Hanged: the dirty war in Kenya and
the end of Empire - from B&N for $4.50 awesomeness
4. History of Africa - from Half.com for $23.25


Jane Austen Seminar:
1. P&P, A Longman Cultural Edition
2. Northanger Abbey, A Longmann Cultural Edition
3. Persuasion, Norton Critical Edition
4. Mansfield Park, Norton Critical Edition
5. S&S
*1-5 all from B&N $48.56
6. Emma - from Alibris for $8.45
7. Cambridge Companion to Jane Austen - from Half.com
for $21.24

Zee grand total of $134.35. Definitely not as bad as
it could have been.

And did anyone else know ISBN numbers are going up to
13 digits? Weird.

ALSO-ALSO: In preparation for my leaving the
department, I have been trying to help people remove
me from their travel arranger, expense report, etc.,
profiles and put in the new temp. I was helping one
guy today, and when I went to look in his favorites
tab to see if he had the damn sites bookmarked so I
wouldn't have to type them in longhand, I saw
something else that was bookmarked.

KAMA SUTRA

EWWWWWWWY! Ok, I'm not "EWWWWWWY"ing the subject
itself, just DUDE! it's your WORK COMPUTER. And I
don't need to know that about that particular person.
SKANK to the Y. I was all suave like I didn't notice
anything, and moved on (not like I clicked on it after
all), but holy fucking shit. That could get you in
trouble at work.

0 comments: