Saturday, May 05, 2007

Ole! Cinco Cinco!

Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaah, bitches! Feliz Cinco de Mayo!
*raises margarita glass*

I slept in late today. I was just too damn exhausted
to get up and do the 7:45 am yoga class. I stuck
around the house for a bit. Today was the first day my
mom could bathe after her surgery. I waited until she
was done to get out of the house just in case she
needed me.

After that, picked up (yet another) pair of biking
sunglasses that I won from last week's M&M Cyclery
Ladies' Night Raffle. Last year, I won the exact same
glasses. I told them that, and I got to switch them
out for a pair that had greenish frames at least. Good
glasses, though.

Went to work for a couple hours (had some time to make
up from oversleeping this week - oops!) and then I
went to Jamaica Gardens North. My mom and I like to
have potted herbs in the summer. Oh god, I go to that
place and it's just...bad. I'm just lucky, I suppose,
that living in a townhouse means we have very limited
space to put this stuff. I got rosemary (a favorite of
mine), oregano, basil (another favorite, especially
for making de-li-cious caprese salad), thyme, lavender
(I tried planting some from seed out front, but it
doesn't appear to be working). I also got a couple
heirloom tomato plants (the first I tried to plant I
think I might have hurt - - oops, we'll see), a
habenero plant, a couple jalapenos, and squash and
something else. Fuck I can't remember what all the
hell I bought. I don't know where the hell I'm going
to stick the peppers and squash! Got one gerbera daisy
and an impatiens. Three bags of potting soil (need
MORE).

Then I made the mistake of trucking off to Home Depot.
Holy fucking Christ, they had a ton of shit. I bought
another lavender plant, catnip (whee! for the
kitties!), two lovely pink plants whose name I cannot
remember but it's something so obvious and if I
weren't drunk off my margarita I could remember... two
bags of mulch (need another) and a couple ground cover
plants. Oh, and even a couple citronella plants! Very
cool. I have those potted out on the back patio. Fuck
off mosquitoes! Ha ha.

Once I got home, I spent a couple hours planting it
all. Our front walkway area looks SO much nicer with
the mulch. Fucking townhouse association is completely
slacking. The bushes haven't been trimmed in AGES and
no mulch in god knows how long. What the fuck do we
pay dues for?! Most of the herbs are planted in pots
on the back patio. I still have a couple more to go.
My back was killing me, but post-margarita we seem to
be doing pretty damn well.

So early Mom's Day gift for my mom with all the
plants.

After I finished doing the whole garden thing, I was
starved. I hadn't really eaten since the morning. I
called and placed a to-go order from On the Border for
steak fajitas. Ole! Tasty! I scarfed those down once I
got back home, along with mi muy bueno margarita.

Aaaaaah! Good day. Now, if it would only be sunny
tomorrow. I want to go on a bike ride down to the
lake.

2 comments:

The Wandering Author said...

I hope it turned out sunny for you; it was a nice day here. One thing you might want to note; if you let cats have fresh catnip too frequently, they can 'overdose' and lose any sensitivity to it. I don't recall how often it's okay to let 'em have it. I think it might have been once a week or once every two weeks.

*DB* said...

I think my cats do the same on store-bought as well. They get a little OD'ed on it and then they don't care for a few days. I enjoyed teasing my cat through the screen window while I was potting the catnip. He kept trying to get at it through the screen...