Monday, April 16, 2007

Senselessness

The hardest thing about violence like the type that
happened at Virginia Tech today, is that it is just so
damn...senseless. That's what makes me so angry and
feel so helpless (and others, too, I'm sure).

There is NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, in this world
that is an acceptable excuse for just MASS MURDERING
innocent people. So much of life is trivial. You lost
your girlfriend or your boyfriend? Boohoo. You'll get
a new one in time. Lost your job? Big deal. Most
people hate their jobs anyway. I just don't get it.

I hope that shooter is suffering in hell this very
minute. There is no reason for his actions.

I'm also sick of the press conferences where the
reporters are trying to rip the cops a new one. Yes, I
think it's stupid that the administration didn't get
their information out earlier (and I'm sure they'll
pay for it), but they did what they thought was right
at the time. What sane person actually thinks
something like this is going to happen? You can take
every reasonable precaution, but at the end of the
day, you can't plan for a CRAZY person.

And I'm sick of reading all these comments on news
forums saying "Well, if everyone had a gun to protect
themselves..." You know what? B.S. Violence begets
violence. Carrying guns is an invitation to violence.
Not to mention: carrying any weapon most campuses
(including V Tech) is ILLEGAL. I can't think of
another country in the world that has as many violent
deaths by firearm as the U.S. Why? Because of our
stupid gun laws. People, I don't think our
constitutional right to bear arms was meant so that we
could have semi-automatics and armour-piercing rounds
on the street. You certainly don't need one to shoot
deer unless you like the taste of lead in your
venison. No, the right was meant in times of war or
occupation. That was the context.

God, those poor students and families at V-Tech.

And no one answer the question: Why?

It hurts.

Whatever you believe in: God or just the hope of
goodness: I think this sums it up better than I could.


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18142473/site/newsweek/

Marc Gellman (Columnist at Newsweek)

0 comments: