Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Brevity is the Soul of Wit (Ain't Got No Soul)

Intelligent speech & writing should aim at using few words. This proverb comes the play Hamlet, by William Shakespeare.
 
Yesterday was another excruciating exercise in the development of my Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Instead of going to Linguistics on time, I camped out on a comfy chair in the reading lounge and took a nap. If I hadn't, last night would have been even uglier.

The second half of Linguistics went fine. It was that damn Community College course that nearly turned me into a raging maniac. More chapter presentations. This is a graduate (or supposed to be) level course. PEOPLE, you need to learn how to present information. I am sorry, but giving out a TEN FUCKING PAGE hand out is EIGHT PAGES TOO MUCH, and then reading it out - word for word - IS NOT ACCEPTABLE! It's called SUMMARIZATION, people! LEARN TO DO IT! No one was paying attention by page three. And then the professor, as he is wont to do, kept interrupting. It took TWO HOURS to get through that. TWO HOURS. I have presented entire books in less than that time in far more challenging graduate courses!
 
When the professor asked if we should keep doing things as we were, I had to bite my tongue. Obviously my opinion is NO, but I was in no condition to be airing my opinion (politely) at that point.
 
And the stupid delivery man here is whistling and being disruptive.
 
I am surrounded by cretins. When I am Supreme Ruler of All and have the ability to vaporize people with the power of my mind and intense gaze, my first task will be to significantly cull the herd.

0 comments: