Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Serendipitous

Main Entry: ser·en·dip·i·tous
Pronunciation: "ser-&n-'di-p&-t&s
Function: adjective
: obtained or characterized by serendipity
- ser·en·dip·i·tous·ly adverb

Main Entry: ser·en·dip·i·ty
Pronunciation: -'di-p&-tE
Function: noun
Etymology: from its possession by the heroes of the Persian fairy tale The Three Princes of Serendip
: the faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for; also : an instance of this

On this, my second day off work, I am at the Summit Ice Cream and Coffee Shop in L'ville. Free wi-fi and all that. I meant to work on my portfolio for school, then do some leisure reading. I also stuffed a ball of yarn and a pair of knitting needles into my bag. Still trying to learn how to knit.

Shortly after I sit down and get situated at a table, I happen to look over at the table next to me full of ladies. They're knitting. I shut my laptop and ask if I can bother them...score!!

I just spent the past two hours knitting with the nicest ladies: Pat, Nancy, Inge, Yuki, and another woman whose name I cannot remember. This last one is the one who showed me how to finally get a purl stitch right. HAL-LE-FREAKING-LUJAH, I can finally do a damn purl stitch. Jesus, it's ridiculously easy to me now. I was trying to get the stitch off the needles completely ass-backwards before, no wonder I was so frustrated. Learning how to do purl stitch now makes me do my regular stitch better, too. I'm going to learn those cables soon.

Also, new store to check out: Three Bags Full in Northbrook.

It just sucks because these ladies meet every week Tuesday, from 1-3. I work.
Waaaah!!

Also funny: half of these ladies (who, by all accounts, can knit me into circles) are like "crochet? oh, god, I can't crochet!" when I told them I can crochet. Hysterical. Crocheting is so much easier - it's just one little hook compared to TWO needles. Much easier to correct if you screw up a stitch, too. If you fuck up knitting, you really fuck up.

Well, looks like I'll have to work on my portfolio tomorrow. I gotta get going home and stuff before going to my dad's onight.

0 comments: