Saturday, May 13, 2006

'Shut up and be thankful' is sound advice in some situations

I'm a little annoyed at this mother's day gig. I, being the younger sibling, unmarried, and sans kids has to kowtow to the sibling that does. So, when I attempted to make brunch reservations at an expensive nice place for Sunday (because no one had fucking told me they were doing anything), I thought I was being a nice daughter. But no, my brother had already made plans for my mom to come over there for brunch. Because they have to go to his wife's mom's later in the day. "Why don't you take her to dinner on Saturday?" (And then, if I want to I can come over for brunch too. Whatever - it was an afterthought.)

Fine. I go and make dinner reservations at a nice restaurant for Saturday. I tell my mom about it. She's going to be in Chicago doing some church thing in the morning. Okay, yeah, it's the morning - I made DINNER reservations. What's the problem? Oh, she doesn't know when she's going to be back blah blah blah. FINE! "Why don't you just get me some fruit from Harry and David's?"

Cancel reservation number fucking two. Why did I even bother? I ordered her the fruit. Big whoop.

Today she went to her stupid church thing and I was up painting the upstairs (after a year of not finishing) by 10am. I figure I can do this for her, too. I sweat, I stink...I clean, tape and paint all damn day. I start bringing the stuff downstairs to possibly start on the kitchen, but then she came home.

And she starts ragging on me about "are you painting? why? don't get any paint on my new refrigerator", etc., etc., etc. Jesus fucking Christ. THIS is why my family fucking drives me nuts and half the time I can't stand them. I try to do something nice and it's met with a barrage of questions or bitching and moaning about not fucking up shit. I said "Does it look like it's going to paint itself? I thought you weren't going to be home until later. Then I wouldn't have to listen to this 'wah wah wah!' Jesus, can't you just be happy I'm doing it! I already did the upstairs."


That shut her up.

And then she starts asking where the fruit is. Well, HELLO, I ordered it TWO days ago when you told me. It ain't here yet and it depends on harvest, so I don't know where the hell it is. It probably won't be here for a week.

And about five minutes ago she came upstairs and said "thanks"... not that I really care about thanks anymore.

*grumpy*

0 comments: