Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Almost Famous in the Twilight Zone

Look, I know a "famous Iowan".*cough*
 
This started yesterday with a weirdly timed e-mail I received from someone I haven't heard from in a couple years.
 
Back in 1998 (my senior year of undergraduate college), I studied overseas in Wales. It was hands down the highlight of my college career. I wish I had stayed the entire year instead of just the fall term. (By that time, I was thoroughly hating the town the college was in - Pella, IA. Ain't nothing in Iowa but corn, pigs and meth labs, let me tell you.)
 
Anyway, I kept in touch with one person in particular - Mike - for a couple years and then lost track of him. I just joined myspace (and I'm already thinking of canceling that because I've already gotten dumb "join this club for singles" crap as well as "I like UR hair and U seem nice...we should talk" crap. USE PROPER ENGLISH, DUMBASS, AND MAYBE I'D TALK TO YOU). When I joined myspace, I actually tried searching for Mike, but didn't find him. So, getting an email from him not even a day later was freaky. He just found me by googling me and saw my email address from a review of a hair salon I'd left on yahoo. WEIRD. We were both thinking of eachother around the same time.
 
In the process of emailing back and forth with Mike, he mentioned Mark Woodley (in the link to the tv station). Mark was a riot. I gave him an email - not too hard to find since he's practically a public figure what with being on tv and all. I got an email back from Mark just now as well....
 
Apparently he's trying to plan for a 10 year Wales reunion in 2008. Could be interesting...
 
Oh, little Carmarthen, how I miss your bright sun and then absolute downpours, which caught me unawares. And the giant slugs which scared the absolute bejesus out of me. Not withstanding Lippy's kind five minute run over the border into Wales when I visited, I haven't been back there since summer of 1999.

0 comments: