Sunday, May 21, 2006

Birthday Weekend

It's been a long/short weekend. I drove down to Chicago yesterday once Kit (my friend who got married on St. Pat's weekend) arrived at my place and it was partaaaaay time.

Anne, Kristi, Kit and I went to eat at the Daily Bar then went to the Brownstone (lousy service) and finished up at the Red Lion. I haven't drank that many Magner's Ciders in I don't know how long. Suffice it to say, I was feeling quite happy. Happy until it got really chilly outside and my feet started killing me because I was wearing a ridiculous pair of blue suede heels (they look killer, but I have blisters which are not sexy).

Anne drank a bit too much! She was saying hello to the porcelain god once we got back to her apartment.

I am constantly amused by how well friends from different areas of my life get along so well. Kit and Anne are like new best friends - it was hysterical at Anne's apartment. Girl talk can get so trashy dirty. I read both of their tarot cards. Should be interesting to see how their lives pan out - Kit needs to check back with me within 3 months to see if things happened.

Woke up feeling tired - - didn't sleep too well because Kit was snoring like a foghorn (she was getting congested) and I kept having to reach over from where I was on the couch to where she was on the aero bed to smack her on the knee to get her to stop snoring.

We went out for dim sum at the Phoenix in Chinatown. Ran into everyone on their way to the Cubs-Sox game. (I hate the Sox. Michael Barrett rules.) Dim sum was goooood. We were starving by the time we were seated - it was 1:30 pm and it was our first meal of the day. We had shit I don't even remember. Sesame balls, spring rolls, pork puffs...

Went shopping for a bit afterwards at Trader Joe's and Anne also bought a bike. We have signed up to do the Bike the Drive next weekend - woot! Should be fun.

Kit had a good time; it was her first time actually in Chicago. She's from near Sheboygan originally, and the closest she's been to Chicago is Rosemont for gaming and comic conventions. She took her first ride on the El and ate some wacky food and drank some new beer and wine - it was wild and crazy!

We think she'll come down here with her husband Matt for her birthday in two weeks. We're going to take her to the Hopleaf for drinks if she does make it. If there's a concert at the Pritzker Pavilion that will be a MUST. I can't wait until the summer concerts start...

All in all, it was a good weekend. Strange to think how much my life has changed since last year. Nothing is the same, is it? Except for my girlfriends who still rule...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad your birtday adventures turned out well. And, while we're on the subject. . .happy birthday!

We just got a Trader Joe's in the area; I haven't been yet because, well, I'm scared of the copious quantities of crap I'll buy.

I, too, have a new (to me) bike. Bikes are the new cool accessory around here. I'm not joking. I haven't participated in so much drunken biking since Leiden.