Monday, April 03, 2006

These are the times that try [women's] souls...

Mondays suck. Especially the first Monday right after Daylight Savings Time begins. Yesterday I was so behind just because of that one little hour. I had very little sleep last night as well.

Woke up quite cranky this morning, and not at all pleased that I'll be back to the 40 hour workweek grind + 6 hours of class + 8 hours tutoring. Why do I not get paid more? Why do I not win the lottery? Why do I not have a ridiculously hot man to ravish me at night to make this all bearable? Oh right, I'm already pulling ridiculous hours elsewhere. Scratch that. No time for recreational-copulation.

Got in to work and before I could even start up the computer, I stupidly answered a phone call. From the Spanish affiliate, wondering why two people were not on a conference call. Seriously, J had it right: birds of a feather flock together. There is a certain group of people on our team who have the same nervous temperament. I hate dealing with them because they're nervousness rubs off on me. They always treat everything like it's a damn crisis when it's just a molehill (to mix my proverbs). The Spanish affiliate person is just like them, too. Ack - very aggravating.

Also had to register for my classes for the Fall. I despair at the amount of money I have to fork over. I just finished paying for spring with a payment I sent on Thursday-last. I now have to toss in about $370 to confirm my summer classes; that's due by April 27th. But then I have to pay off all $1K+ of that tuition prior to being able to pay my confirmation amount for fall (another $370), due 7/27. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

All this in the midst of trying to save for that Ireland/UK trip in Aug/Sept (hey, maybe I'll run into a hot Scotsman to ravish me who will be a zillionaire). Which is also going to make me miss some classes! I managed to find some classes to take on Mondays (so I won't miss as many because of my trip). I've got to switch out of the LEAD 413 and go to LING 414 instead. I just received permission from the Linguistics teacher to enroll. I wonder how long it will take for that to go through the system. I should check now. I'm really interested in seeing what the Community College course will be like. Assuming I make it through this gauntlet, I'd like to end up teaching at the college level someday. Not as many dumbass fucking laws (NCLB being the biggest culprit) to deal with in college as opposed to obligatory education.

ELAD-LEAD-413 Human Relations and Leadership, 3
cr. Study of basic concepts and principles of interpersonal
relationships, communications, group interaction, and leadership
and effectiveness. Emphasis on theory, application and
skill development. Students will observe and assess interpersonal,
group and organizational dynamics with attention
to cultural factors and development of effective interaction
and problem-solving skills.

ELAD-LEAD-480 The Community College, 3 cr. Provides
the student with theoretical and practical knowledge about
the philosophy, history, students, services, staff and organizational
structure of the community college. National trends
of the two year college will be analyzed.

LING-414 Theories of Teaching English As a Second
Language
, 3 cr. Survey of theories of the teaching and
learning of English as a second or foreign language. A
look at the historical growth and development of second
language methodologies from grammar-translation and the
direct method, through the audio-lingual method and its
offspring, and up to the current natural and eclectic period.

0 comments: