Saturday, April 15, 2006

Lemon dreams...

Oh my god. I just made the most fantastic lemon curd. Seriously, folks, Tyler Florence is god. I made his beef bourginon and the first taste: I swear it was like culinary orgasm in my mouth. It's the same thing over again, just with sweet-tart lemony sunshine goodness. *rolls eyes* Oh...yummy.

I got the recipe off of Food Network and it's actually part of the Lemon Curd Trifle I'm going to make. Easy to make, but your arm gets damn tired from whisking for 10 straight minutes.

6 large egg yolks
1 cup sugar
4 lemons, zested and juiced
1 stick (half cup) of butter, cut into chunks

Throw the yolks, sugar, lemon juice and zest into a heat proof bowl and whisk until smooth. Set on top of simmering water (but don't let the bowl touch into the water) and whisk like fury for 10 minutes, until the curd has doubled in volume and is thick and yellow. Do not let boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, a couple chunks at a time, until fully incorporated. Put into the refrigerator for a couple hours to set. (I put some film down directly on the top of the curd to keep it from forming a skin while chilling. I also added a splash of limoncello after I'd put in all the butter.)

Oh my god - it tastes absolutely DIVINE. I can't wait to make that trifle tomorrow.

In other hair related news: I went to the salon this morning for my "intervention" as I'll call it. Unsurprisingly, the Marliene chick couldn't do anything with it. She confirmed what I already knew: that it was cut way too short on the top. She also said it was very unevenly cut - JOY, one additional fuck up. My only options were to 1)just let it grow out or 2)she could cut the back up to blend in better with the shorter top layer. She said #2 would mean I'd have really short hair. Fuck that, but at least she was straight with me. She has curly hair, too, so she could tell right away my hair had been fucked by the cut that idiot Crystal (who happened to be working this morning as well!) gave me.

I have come to the basic conclusion that I essentially have a mullet. You just can't tell as much when it's left curly, but it's definitely a mullet. Don't I feel dyke-y? I'm going to make a voodoo doll and name it Crystal. And then I'm going to rip its guts out.

But I doubt that's even her name. Mario Tricoci has this twee practice of making its employees pick "ooh la la" sounding names. What the fuck? Like I said: very twee. I'm moving on to the Aveda salon my friend Mindy likes. At least they listen to what you want. That salon was the place that fixed my fucked up highlighting job that I got at - surprise! - Mario Tricoci last summer.

At least I got my money credited back. I can use it for when I get my eyebrow and bikini wax with Connie (who, unlike Crystal, knows how to do her job).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's good that you got your money back. Did you glare at Crystal? Did she acknowledge your presence?

*DB* said...

I didn't even look at her. The temptation to begin yelling would have been too much. I figured I would need to act somewhat nice seeing as how I wanted my money back. I didn't want to get kicked out...