Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Na na na naaaa, na na na naaaa, hey hey heeeey good bye!

NY TIMES: There was only one explanation for the crazy-quilt combination of victories around the country that gave the Democrats control of the House of Representatives last night: an angry shout of repudiation of the Bush White House and the abysmal way the Republican majority has run Congress.

Like many of my friends (and fellow Americans), I am ECSTATIC at the election results. Absolutely ECSTATIC. It even looks like we will have a slim majority in the Senate. I don't believe Virginia has officially been called for Webb, but it's looking better and better. IT'S OFFICIAL: VIRGINNY IS OURS, BAYBEE! AND SO IS THE SENATE!

The media coverage is right: this vote was a repudiation and punishment of the radical right and especially Bush. I haven't looked at voter turnout numbers, but my gut tells me that Bush and his cronies finally pushed moderate Americans too far. Far enough so that we had a high turnout.

Let's face it: American voters are lazy. If *anything* good could be considered to come out of Bush's hateful tenure, it's that people might have finally woken up to the fact that if you don't participate in democracy, it dies - horribly - and that leaves you vulnerable to being steamrolled by a corrupt cabal. PEOPLE, VOTE. This is your right and people have died, and continue to die, for that right.

NY TIMES: The Republicans created their defeat by focusing obsessively on the right-wing “base,” ostracizing not only the Democrats but their own party’s more moderate legislators. The conflict between the extremist House and the conservative Senate created a phony center, far to the right of the general public’s idea of where the middle ought to be. Yesterday, moderate Republicans in heavily Democratic states were done in by their party’s excesses. In Rhode Island, more than 60 percent of the voters told pollsters that they liked their Republican senator, Lincoln Chafee. But he was soundly defeated anyway....

Low turnout by the average, middle of the road American, is the only explanation (other than YES, I still believe the GOP stole and lied heavily in the last major election) I have for how such a small, angry and out of touch group of so-called religious extremists managed to vote in these Republican psychos. Too bad those people are finding out that their officials only played them for fools. Those officials weren't interested in being religious or morally upstanding. They just wanted power. This is why you keep religion and the state separate: because it is all too easily corruptable and alienates the rights of countless others.

What else? Rumsfeld resigns. HA HA HA. Not that I feel sorry for the bastard, but he's being made into a scapegoat. I bet Bush is thinking if he sacrifices Rummy, the heat will be off of him. WRONG. Bush is still responsible.

Also: Bush now talking "bipartisanship" and "cooperation"? Give me a fucking break. If you were so interested in bipartisanship, you would have been working with Dems when you first started! You're only doing it now because you got spanked by the American voting public, YOU GODDAMNED FUCKING USELESS TWIT. Jackass. You've ignored the wishes of the public - the public you are supposed to be a SERVANT of - because you wanted your own little dictatorship. Bush is still a hypocrite and a lying sack of shit. Georgie, this is what you call a "reality check". Welcome to it, jackass!

I'm excited for "Madame" Speaker Pelosi. It's about damn time for the ladies. However, I disagree with her heartily about: any effort to impeach the president "is off the table," she assured the nation before TV cameras, but she also said American voters "spoke for change and they spoke for a new direction for all Americans." Madame, this man is a criminal who has broken nearly every law we have. He has spit upon the Constitution. He should be tried for treason.

If Madame Pelosi and the Democrats can take power without "rancor" as she put it, and work with the GOP...more power to them. I just wouldn't trust those bastards any further than I could throw them. Remember, these are the same assholes who held power for 12 years through treachery and deceit, who laughed at you and the American public in the open. Twelve long years of making this nation the hated laughing stock of the entire world. It's going to be hard to win people's trust again.

Someone posted Dear Dismayed Conservatives over at DU.

I think I can agree with nearly every one of those statements. (With the exception of "respecting [certain] beliefs". As someone pointed out in a reply, I sure as hell wouldn't respect someone spouting racist or sexist beliefs, for example.) Sure, I want to rub people's noses in it a little (after TWELVE LONG YEARS OF BULLSHIT, who can blame me?), but come on. WE are not the enemy. We never have been. We're Americans as well. Those idiot politicians played us off eachother for their own personal benefit.

I just want clean government. I want to be able to live my life as I see fit, without government needlessly getting involved. I sincerely hope the Democrats act better with power than these sorry elephant's asses ever did.

You can call me a "bleeding heart liberal" if you like, but guess what: at least that means I have a heart.

0 comments: