Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

So, I've long had this half-baked idea to teach Latin. I took four years of Latin in high school and, truth be told, was pretty darn good at it. I got a couple SPQR silver medals on the national latin examinations. My undergrad didn't offer Latin, so I never progressed beyond high school.

Latin rules, and I'm sure it's a big ticket to getting in the door of some preppy districts. Hello? SAT and ACT scores? Root of all Romance languages?

I've spent most of my afternoon making a serious effort at finding out how to make this more of a reality. I've sent some inquiries to the Classical Programs at both Loyola ($$$$) and UIC. I emailed a teacher from high school who might know how to get in touch with my former latin teacher (who is retired). Emailed my current program advisors to see if they "know people" (how could they not?) and even left a message for the mom of one of my high school friends who used to substitute for my latin teacher. (She has a masters in it. She will also probably talk my ear off once I get a hold of her tonight.)

Maybe I'll take a look at some schools just over the border in Wisconsin. Maaaybe.

0 comments: