Saturday, August 19, 2006

Alton

Oh Dear Alton,

How I love you. You and your crazy mad food-scientist ways! Have any of you watching "Feasting on Asphalt"? It's his new traveling a la Kerouac food show. Fucking BRILLIANT. Plus, he camera dude Jean-Claude (I think) has a wonderful accent and looks great in leather. Heck, even AB looks decent. Rrraawr. Especially with the scruffy look.

It's hysterical. They must be having a marathon, because it's been on for a few hours. He's in Colorado now. What mountains...what altitude sickness. They went up Pike's Peak and nearly froze their asses off and had very little oxygen. Watching AB trying to boil coffee at the top of Pike's Peak was a riot - he knocked snow into the fire pit after he'd suffered trying to light the damn fire.

I've been thinking about making my next trip a trip to the East Coast since I've not really been there, but oh my god, seeing the Rockies really makes me want to go back West. I drove from Iowa to New Mexico once in college (which is a story in itself) and it was unbelievable. Imagine being on the flattest of flat plains (Kansas), where I swear you can see the next town ten miles away from the edge of the one you're at, and then all of a sudden, the Rockies jut up out of nowhere. (Not that the Rockies come up at the end of Kansas, obviously, but that's the flat ass place I think of...)

I remember a painted wall advertisement on a building with an old time cowgirl lounging against the words: "Where the Great Plains meet the Mighty Rockies".

AB's got some beautiful scenery shots and the pictures of people and their ways...totally makes you want to hit the road.

Seriously, now I want to go back to New Mexico again. Bea-u-ti-ful.

P.S. But I will take a pass on the Fried Brain sandwich!!

2 comments:

Kilroy_60 said...

Looking forward to catching a Rocky Mountain High sometime myself!

While the East Coast's mountain ranges are not as physically imposing for lack of a better term, they definitely have spectacular qualities.

Depending on the season, you may want to set your sites on Cape Cod. It is an incredible place to be if you're into that sort of thing. I can offer a few other tips...depending on what you might be looking for.

*DB* said...

See, either sound great. I would definitely like to see Cape Cod sometime. I guess my problem is that once I've been to a place that I really wind up liking, it's hard for me not to go running straight back.