Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Latin

I'm finally getting somewhere with Latin. It's not going to be quite as intensive as I had thought, but it's still got quite a lot of work. I won't need to get a degree, per se, although a masters in Classical Studies would be sweet ( and $$$ ). I wasn't really getting anywhere with UIC, so I kept pursuing Loyola.
 
I mean, hello - LOYOLA. That name does carry some freaking weight. I feel proud saying it. Sure, it's a buncha Jesuits and I'm not the poster child for Catholicism, but they're not stupid. I digress...
 
I talked with the department chair of the Classics Program. Dude is cool. He talked with me on the phone forever and answered whatever questions he could. THAT is how you get people to want to come to your school.

There are two options for me to be qualified to teach a foreign language under current ISBE standards. The quickest and most viable one for me, since I will already have my main teaching endorsement, is to have 20 semester hours in the target language + pass the content area exam. SCHWEET. That's like 7 courses. You figure two per semester and it's two years - less if I bust through some courses in the summer. The trick is, these classes are undergrad and that means they probably won't be offered at times convenient for me. Ugh. The department chair said there is precedent at the school for offering correspondence courses (and it is something the current administration is interested in reviving).
 
He's going to see if anyone would be willing to offer me a correspondence course that runs parallel with a Latin course they'd already be offering in the spring. *fingers crossed* That would be great. I could probably get into a Latin 102 course. I'm reviewing the Wheelock's Latin book, but it has been over 10 years since I was actually studying the language. Seriously, the guy is awesome. He totally wants to promote the study of Latin and we were geeking out for a bit and shooting the shit a little bit. He thought I'd be a great teacher candidate with both English and Latin in my arsenal. And I didn't even tell him I was probably going to get endorsed in Poli Sci and History as well! I could teach everything but math and science, Geek Team Represent.
 
I called the admissions office and they told me to apply as a non-degree undergrad. One page form. EASY. No fee? Even better! So I already filled it out and submitted it. Theoretically, I could take a class as soon as spring. How much?
 
*gulp* No idea. I just hope it's not insane. Loyola is private, though...
 
Gah. I'll worry about that later.

1 comments:

Kilroy_60 said...

Go forward without fear...It appears you have set a course which is clear...Success is surely not far, in fact day by day more near...

OK! I'll stop!!