Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Classes

If only I wrote more about my sometimes tragic education.
 
So, that class about Community Colleges that I thought would be so intriguing? Totally mindless. Last night I about jumped out of my seat and screamed. This is supposed to be a grad class. The teacher needs to stop with the hand holding! My partner and I were presenting three chapters from our really stupid class book. IT TOOK TWO FUCKING HOURS. That is ridiculous. He kept interrupting us. It like listen, asshole, if you are going to be that way, then why the fuck do you want us to present the chapters? Because you're not letting us talk!
 
To top it off, my partner wasn't exactly brilliant at presenting her first half. She was pretty much reading from the text book itself. *rolls eyes* Once she was finally done, I tried to jump right in and go through my points as concisely as possible. Nope. He kept interrupting. I kept fidgeting, blatantly checking my watch, and rolling my eyes. Seriously. Wanted. To. Kill. Him.
 
THEN, at the end of class, he proceeds to micromanage us about some upcoming interview projects we have. Again, this is already work in progress, you DO NOT change the rules, purpose or scope of the assignment once it has already been let loose for no apparent reason, other than the fact that you are an anal retentive moron. The other two people in my group project were similarly annoyed. We all agreed that we, as grad students, did not need to be baby-sat. Ugh.
 
FRUSTRATION!!
 
Before classes started yesterday, I picked up my transcript from the college of education. I had a woman there do a preliminary review to see what I am eligible to be endorsed in for teaching. Obviously, I have my major in secondary (high school) English. I am also eligible for middle school endorsements in social science, language arts, and Spanish (which is absolutely hysterical). Not too shabby.
 
The other good stuff is: I can be endorsed for secondary political science if I take and pass the subject area test in that AND if I take one more history course + the subject area test, I can also be endorsed for secondary history! Sweet! I could be a triple threat in high school!
 
Conveniently enough, the spring course booklet was released online yesterday. There is a survey of Jane Austen course that I am positively dying to take, but I can't. I have to take another linguistics course to fulfill my final elective obligation. The second slot needs to be taken by a history course, and I'm not really stoked about the history offerings next term at all. Alas, it must be done.
 
Next semester looks like:
 
Tuesdays
History 371 - 19th & 20th Century Africa 4:15pm-6:50pm
Linguistics 410 - Techniques of Teaching English as a 2nd Lang 7:05pm - 9:55pm
 
Enrollment starts late October.
 
I won't have to take any courses in the summer, but I may take another linguistics. Possibly, I may get this Latin shit sorted out and perhaps I'll take a class at Loyola or something. (That'll be $$$.) Shit, I'd better look at the test dates for the content area exams. I have to do that soon.

1 comments:

Kilroy_60 said...

The wonderful world of higher education. Don't let the jackasses get you down, Queen. When all is said and done. they'll continue wading through the muck of their sorry lives and you will be on to your next adventure.

Still thinking of Cape Cod? That's the type of thing that makes shit like this earier to put up with --- the reward at the end of the line.